Thursday, January 31, 2013

Interpreting the dance steps

Today's exploration was reexamining my "drawings" from last night, to see what I could see. Actually looking at the thumbnails of the drawings in iPhoto is what jump started my actions. Seeing them smaller helped to eliminate some of the extraneous details and helped me to see new shapes and forms within the scribbles and squiggles. So I played with them and tried to pull some figures and outfits out of them. I like what I discovered and I also liked the line quality I was able to use in recreating them. It is something I would like to use in my "regular" work somehow.
       For my process, I looked at a sketch in iPhoto, defined some identifiable shapes, dug out the original sketch and placed a clean sheet over it. Then I started to re-draw the piece with the new forms in mind. I stuck to the scale of what I originally draw and tried to trace the original lines (with a free hand, not a slow moving one trying to recreate, more like recreate the feel of the lines). I added things where I thought they would help to define the shape more and eliminated things that I didn't want etc. As I said, I like them a lot! Once again, not sure what happens next, but that is not the point. I am thinking about maybe transferring them to watercolor paper to play with that as an element. I am worried about how to transfer the images though and maintain the line quality and play. I remind myself to just play and try things, and to make mistakes. So perhaps tomorrow will be watercolor. I also was just gifted a massive box of markers, so maybe we just stick with markers on marker paper, since that is what we already have going on!



I can take or leave this one. It is from the City Theme song. So...I think I have run my course on that song.







These are some of my favorites from the day's play with the one in the center being my MOST favorite.





Interesting hair shapes.





Another one of my faves. Foxy lady maybe? Love her face and the line quality around it.





And the final one, which was actually the first one I drew today. I think he looks like something out of Shel Silverstein.















No comments:

Post a Comment